This easy weeknight dinner meal is so delicious and satisfying. Juicy chicken thighs roasted in a pan with flavorful rice and tender veggies.
This is the perfect weeknight recipe that is so satisfying for everyone! Featured is my easy cast iron chicken and rice. You can customize this recipe with any vegetables that you like and use your favorite seasonings to spice it up in different ways. Carrots and mushrooms are always in my fridge but this recipe is also delicious with celery or fennel. You can also use skin-on chicken breasts as well but I recommend chicken thighs as it's juicier and tastier.
4 skin on chicken thighs, bone-in or boneless
2 cups uncooked rice
4 stalks thyme
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into long strips
1 cup portobello mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp chicken seasoning (i.e garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, salt & pepper to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Marinate chicken thighs with chicken seasoning and set aside in the fridge while you prep vegetables.
3. Mince garlic, dice onion, peel and chop carrots and slice mushrooms.
4. Rinse rice several times until the water runs clear and drain excess liquid. Set aside.
5. Preheat the cast iron skillet on the stove top at medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp of vegetable or canola oil and sear marinated chicken for 5 mins each on both sides.
6. Remove the chicken thighs and set aside on a separate plate once both sides are browned and skin is crispy. Add in carrots and onions and saute in the chicken fond for 2 mins then add mushrooms and thyme and continue to cook for 2 - 3 mins.
7. Add butter into the pan and the uncooked rice. Stir to infuse flavors into the rice and pour in chicken stock. Let the rice come to a boil for 6 mins then add chicken thighs into the pot.
8. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 30 mins. Remove from oven once rice and chicken is fully cooked and serve.